[Foundation-l] Vandalism and small wikis

Darko Bulatovic mail at itam.ws
Wed Nov 29 17:16:40 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> Darko Bulatovic schreef:
>
>> Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>>> With your blanket statement that "political background of languages is
>>> undiscussable" you indeed end the discussion. In this you are wrong.
>>>
>>> The Mapuche people are going to court because the Chilean government and
>>> the Microsoft company insist on a given orthography. The Mapuche live in
>>> Chile and Argentina. This proves very much that the insistence of making
>>> a language a people "owned" by a country is very much not universal. If
>>> your POV was shared by the Wikimedia Foundation there would be a project
>>> specific to US English. By having one English Wikipedia the quality is
>>> much better and the POV of the project is very much more a NEUTRAL POV
>>> than it would otherwise be.
>>> Thanks,
>>>     GerardM
>>>

>> Gerard you really make your position on this clear. If you check
>> requirements for ISO you will see that for language code it will need a
>> Government support. So language is political and ethnic question, but
>> you seems that don't have that wide understanding of history of
>> languages. I know the history of my language and that give me quite wide
>> understanding of political background. So please don't be that narrow in
>> understanding.
>>
>> Thank you
>> Darko Bulatovic
>>
> Hoi,
> What ISO language standard are you talking about ? As far as I am aware
> you are talking ISO-639-1/2. ISO-639-3 is quite different, ISO-639-6
> will be different again.
>
> It is rich that you inform me that I am clueless about languages and
> standards. Maybe you have to do some research yourself. You did puff
> yourself up by stating that you are the "President of IT Association of
> Montenegro". I have been active in the IT business myself and, /that
> /does not qualify me as either a linguist or as a politician. It does
> qualify me to know if an IT person is qualified being either; it does
> not implicitly.
>
> Again, in your argument you value the political background. When it
> comes to a vote in the language sub committee, I will vote against the
> creation of a Montenegrin because the arguments provided are political
> and not linguistics. By your very arguments it seems impossible that a
> neutral point of view would be forthcoming. My advise is that for as
> much as a Montenegrin orthography exists, it should be permitted in the
> sr.wikipedia.org.
>
> Thanks,
>    GerardM
>
> Some more motivation::
> http://www.tol.cz/look/CER/article.tpl?IdLanguage=1&IdPublication=14&NrIssue=47&NrSection=5&NrArticle=9309

Gerard,

you just change topic when you dint have any arguments. I am topic? :) I
am totally apolitical personally but I rty to be realistic about this
meter. I dont see what is your point?
You will vote against ? I will take this statement here officially.

I don't see in any of your points here to be neutral you are POV all the
time.

 >You did puff
 >yourself up by stating that you are the "President of IT Association of
 >Montenegro". I have been active in the IT business myself and, /that
 >/*does not qualify me as either a linguist or as a politician*.

But you will vote against? Right? Ha.

I understand you very well here.

So you don't have any argument but you will still vote against the proposal.

Thank you for your honesty,

Darko Bulatovic
My statement to be president of ITAM is just my official role nothing
more nothing less. So don't be bothered by that.