[Foundation-l] Vandalism and small wikis

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:04:31 UTC 2006

Darko Bulatovic schreef:
> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>
>> Darko Bulatovic schreef:

>>> Gerard,
>>>
>>> I don't understand why you mis interpret my statement. Please notice
>>> "and". Who advice you on this meter? Political background of languages
>>> is undiscussable . There must be political background of language, as
>>> there must be political will to make standard from people language.
>>> Linguistics rules are just political will on people language. If you
>>> ignore this your opinion will not be righteous. I will repeat my sentence:
>>> - Wikipedia is multilingual and multicultural project.
>>>

>> With your blanket statement that "political background of languages is
>> undiscussable" you indeed end the discussion. In this you are wrong.
>>
>> The Mapuche people are going to court because the Chilean government and
>> the Microsoft company insist on a given orthography. The Mapuche live in
>> Chile and Argentina. This proves very much that the insistence of making
>> a language a people "owned" by a country is very much not universal. If
>> your POV was shared by the Wikimedia Foundation there would be a project
>> specific to US English. By having one English Wikipedia the quality is
>> much better and the POV of the project is very much more a NEUTRAL POV
>> than it would otherwise be.
>> Thanks,
>>     GerardM
>>

> Gerard you really make your position on this clear. If you check
> requirements for ISO you will see that for language code it will need a
> Government support. So language is political and ethnic question, but
> you seems that don't have that wide understanding of history of
> languages. I know the history of my language and that give me quite wide
> understanding of political background. So please don't be that narrow in
> understanding.
>
> Thank you
> Darko Bulatovic
Hoi,
What ISO language standard are you talking about ? As far as I am aware
you are talking ISO-639-1/2. ISO-639-3 is quite different, ISO-639-6
will be different again.

It is rich that you inform me that I am clueless about languages and
standards. Maybe you have to do some research yourself. You did puff
yourself up by stating that you are the "President of IT Association of
Montenegro". I have been active in the IT business myself and, /that
/does not qualify me as either a linguist or as a politician. It does
qualify me to know if an IT person is qualified being either; it does
not implicitly.

Again, in your argument you value the political background. When it
comes to a vote in the language sub committee, I will vote against the
creation of a Montenegrin because the arguments provided are political
and not linguistics. By your very arguments it seems impossible that a
neutral point of view would be forthcoming. My advise is that for as
much as a Montenegrin orthography exists, it should be permitted in the
sr.wikipedia.org.

Thanks,
   GerardM

Some more motivation::