[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Nathan Carter cartmanau at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 02:37:38 UTC 2006

I am happy to work on the idea if required.

 > * what would be the roles of such a council ?
Some form of body which encourages communication between projects could
be useful. Projects often have different ways of doing things and it
could be useful to share these with others. The council could also
represent the community to the board itself. Major issues could be
raised with a councillor, bought to council and then raised with the board.

Wiki council could also serve as the last resort in the dispute
resolution process (when Arbcom fails).

What I would not want it to become is some massive bureaucracy where
there are a select few which have power over the community, it should
represent the community's interests and not be some form of governance.

 > * would that council vote the people to become Wikimedia Foundation
 > board members ?

Hell no, there is nothing wrong with the current method of community
voting for select positions. Doing this would remind me far too much of
the electoral college system.

> * would this council become a sort of goverment of the project ?
See above.

> * how would people be added to this council (and along with which rules,
> depending on project size, languages etc...)

I would suggest a minimum of 2 reps per project with a maximum of
something. In between some formula would need to be made for
"proportional representation". Positions would be filled by the
community by some form of vote (yes I know voting is evil but it works)

Cheers,
Nathan Carter (Cartman02au)