[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 13:53:40 UTC 2006

On 20/11/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> *But the concept of a group of dedicated, trusted and
> respected Wikimedians from the community who can
> thoughtfully deliberate and help lead community
> matters... I'm willing to hear how people view this as
> a bad thing.
>
> Who is saying THAT is a bad thing?  Why don't you just
> do it?  Start Council meetings with an open
> invitation.  Work at recruiting people from smaller
> projects.  Ask people to list their top problems for a
> voluntary review.  Issue reccomendations.  Then once
> you know how it will work and what people want out of
> it ... Then get it formalized.  If that happens it
> then it would be "a formalization of what takes place
> already".  I think you should go for it.  I think
> wikicouncil, as a general concept, has potential.  I
> do not think we should trying to come up with a
> finished concept to write into the by-laws first,
> however.

Concur entirely. If people feel a cross-project body like this would
be useful, organise one; grab some people from here and there, sit
them down, and get them started. If it seems to fill a need, and it
works effectively, we can write it into the formal system. If not...
eh, it's never going to do any harm as an informal body.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk