[Foundation-l] Do we have a policy on fair use in Wikipedias?

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 15:42:46 UTC 2006

I asked this question a few hours ago on another thread - 'contents
under education/information licenses', and since then Erik said: "As for
the argument that we do allow fair use -- we do indeed. But as I always
emphasize, fair use is not on equal footing with freely licensed
content. It can be removed almost at will, or replaced with more freely
licensed content of lower quality. A rationale is required for its
invocation, and many projects now have whitelists of allowable fair use
cases."

But we tried to formulate a policy in EN Wikipedia to make open content
mandatory in a very limited class of images...see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Images_of_living_people

and the discussion on it...you'll see that there was (and is still)
virtually no support for such a principle from anyone.

Is there a clearly stated policy on fair use please, whether to
eliminate it or otherwise?

Thanks for any help -- Luke