[Foundation-l] problem page on the ar: wikipedia

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 21 12:45:49 UTC 2006

Mohamed Ibrahim wrote:
> Hello all,
> I've been reading this mailing list for some time now but this's my first
> message actually.
> About the issue we have here, I've reviewed the article now and it does has
> some biased statements.
> the "cure of Homosexuality" section is added directly from an Arabic site
> where someone saying he is a homosexual and asking for help to stop
> homosexuality, then a doctor replies with what's written in the Wikipedia
> page section about a research done (no references to that research) showing
> some statistics about this topic, a template has been added now to put more
> references to this particular part.
>
> The "homosexuality in Islam" section was saying that "homosexuality causes
> AIDS as all other kinds of sexual activities do", I removed this part as
> it's not appropriate here, needs a seperate section about medical and
> biological effects of homosexuality the whole section now is rephrased and
> included in "homosexuality in religions" section, and it should be fine by
> now. I wish that the complainer to the foundation begin editing to improve
> the article.
>
> I see the problem is the same as in larger wikipedias, but in larger ones
> there're alot of people who edit the article
> and there're much more possibity of NPOV than in smaller ones like Arabic.
> active people are really few and you don't expect that all the articles are
> good ones in current time, on the other hand we do have excellent neutral
> articles written about "hot topics" in Muslim and Arabic communities like
> "Atheism[1], Holocaust[2], War on terrorism[3], Freemasonry[4], Freedom of
> speech[5]" and many more.
>
> what I'm trying to say that taking into consideration the number of people
> working on the project, I think we've done a good job since we've started
> back in 2003.
> You can't judge the whole thing through some biased articles, the wiki
> culture is not yet well-known through the Arab world and when someone comes
> to write in Wikipedia, they think it's some kind of a forum and writes his
> own opinion, but I'm optimistic about the future, we're growing in the
> number of "active" wikipedians. Also here in Egypt specifically we're trying
> to build-up Egyptian Wiki community which began actions since the bid for
> Wikimania Alexandria 2007, and then now preparing other events to organize.
>
> Best Regards,
> Mido, sysop on Arabic Wikipedia

Hello,

I do not think he was implying that the content was overall not good.
All projects have started small and we all met this situation where an
article was biased but there were few editors and not enough
knowledgeable on the topic. This is just part of growing, that's fine.

I think the main issue is rather this one. People are writing to otrs
about issues on some projects with a language no one at otrs knows
enough to even look at the article or conflict or whatever.

David could forward the email to your mailing list (presumably wikiar-l
exists) or post it on your pump (though it is really really hard when
you really do not know the language). However, there is a policy at
otrs: messages received are considered private. We can not post them
publicly.

So, David, or others, just do not know what to do with these emails and
those requests.

Cheers

Anthere