[Foundation-l] problem page on the ar: wikipedia

Mohamed Ibrahim mido.architect at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 11:56:04 UTC 2006

Hello all,
I've been reading this mailing list for some time now but this's my first
message actually.
About the issue we have here, I've reviewed the article now and it does has
some biased statements.
the "cure of Homosexuality" section is added directly from an Arabic site
where someone saying he is a homosexual and asking for help to stop
homosexuality, then a doctor replies with what's written in the Wikipedia
page section about a research done (no references to that research) showing
some statistics about this topic, a template has been added now to put more
references to this particular part.

The "homosexuality in Islam" section was saying that "homosexuality causes
AIDS as all other kinds of sexual activities do", I removed this part as
it's not appropriate here, needs a seperate section about medical and
biological effects of homosexuality the whole section now is rephrased and
included in "homosexuality in religions" section, and it should be fine by
now. I wish that the complainer to the foundation begin editing to improve
the article.

I see the problem is the same as in larger wikipedias, but in larger ones
there're alot of people who edit the article
and there're much more possibity of NPOV than in smaller ones like Arabic.
active people are really few and you don't expect that all the articles are
good ones in current time, on the other hand we do have excellent neutral
articles written about "hot topics" in Muslim and Arabic communities like
"Atheism[1], Holocaust[2], War on terrorism[3], Freemasonry[4], Freedom of
speech[5]" and many more.

what I'm trying to say that taking into consideration the number of people
working on the project, I think we've done a good job since we've started
back in 2003.
You can't judge the whole thing through some biased articles, the wiki
culture is not yet well-known through the Arab world and when someone comes
to write in Wikipedia, they think it's some kind of a forum and writes his
own opinion, but I'm optimistic about the future, we're growing in the
number of "active" wikipedians. Also here in Egypt specifically we're trying
to build-up Egyptian Wiki community which began actions since the bid for
Wikimania Alexandria 2007, and then now preparing other events to organize.

Best Regards,
Mido, sysop on Arabic Wikipedia

1. http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A5%D9%84%D8%AD%D8%A7%D8%AF
2.