[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] Principles of organisation - who do we serve?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 15:23:52 UTC 2006

On 14/11/06, Brad Patrick <bradp.wmf at gmail.com> wrote:

> Commons exists to be a repository for free culture *and* to serve as
> an inter-wiki storage medium for *free* media.  it is not a place to
> dump stuff, nor is it a place which exists independently of other
> wikis.
> Copyright violations are not a minor or trivial problem.  They are a
> serious problem, for which we are obligated to act when they are
> properly brought to our attention.  This is all nothing new.
> If there are Wikimedians who are advocating housing copyrighted media
> in Commons, speak up now, because we need to get clear on why that is
> not cool immediately.

There isn't anyone advocating that; this discussion started with a
Commons admin threatening to block all es:wp users from Commons to
stop copyvios from es:wp, because the Commons admins can't keep up,
evidently because their admin process is strict enough that pretty
much no-one even bothers trying.

- d.