[Foundation-l] Sexual harassment in Wikipedia

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 09:48:39 UTC 2006

Thank you for letting us share the issue, THD.
I am sorry to hear a Wikipedian was so badly suffered; nice to hear
you acted promptly and properly.

On 11/9/06, THD <theodoranian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Everyone,
>
> Yesterday, one guy registered an offensive username, "Rape XXX" (XXX is a
> female wikipedian's name in real life, but I want to kept the victim
> anonymous here) in Chinese Wikipedia, and this guy left a message on the
> female's user talk page: "You are in my sexual fantasy. Are you a virgin?" I
> was furious about this guy's action and sexual harassment speech. I have
> blocked this id forever, and I also suggested the female user to report to
> police office.

Right suggestion imo. In addition it would be helpful to suggest her
to share this incident with whom she knows well and trusts in her real
life. If ideally, before she goes to the official.

> I want to know is there any policy on this issue?

We have no global policy against improper user name nor harassment
including sexual if I recall correctly. On many projects, including
English and Japanese Wikipedia, there is however zero tolerance toward
such behaviors. And sysops are considered to block offensive user name
account without any precedent discussion, usually based on a written
policy.

> In this
> kind of situation, will the Foundation cooperate with different countries'
> police authority, and reveal the user log record to the authority?

> Thanks.
>
> THD

KIZU Naoko
  Wikiquote: http://wikiquote.org