[Foundation-l] Board officers elected; Anthere is Chair!

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 22:33:40 UTC 2006

> This is, of course, precisely backwards. The ArbCom is an embodiment
> of Jimbo's power, that's where it comes from. Jimbo has power because
> that's how we do it, i.e. the community lets him. (Note that the
> community frequently tells Jimbo to get knotted.)

That was the case that isn't the case any more.

he appearance of "community blocks" shows that at least the admin
community regards its self as holding powers that were once
exclusively Jimbo's and without any obvious link back to Jimbo.
Arbcom's power no longer comes from "Jimbo has said that we can do
this" but from "the community said we can do this".

That isn't to say that there is no role for Jimbo (I can't at short
notice come up with a replacement system for appointing backup arbcom
members that doesn't have an unacceptably high bureaucratic overhead)
but the election should be the preserve of the community unless the
board formally decides to intervene (and if they felt the need to I
think we would have a very very serious problem).

--
geni