[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 17:51:21 UTC 2006

"worst parts of old ideas"

* being a body of electors for determinng the election
of board members

This is bad idea which I have said alot about in the
archives.  I think it is the most useless reason for
creating a council.

*the approve/deny level of individual projects on a
week to week basis. That's where a Wikicouncil would
come in.

Week to week decisions should stay in the hands of the
communities.  Not be bumped up to some interproject
council.

*Wikicouncil as "representative democracy" is closest
to what many Wikiretreaters in Frankfurt expressed

Given a scope I agree on; I can support the idea of a
self-selecting council, I can support the idea of
using existing admin, bcrat or steward structure to
somehow build a council, I can grudingly support a
simple direct election.  I cannot support a
representative election.  First, I do not believe it
will be effective.  Second, I am certain it will be
the most problamatic method to implement.  The point
is to get people who really want to do council-work
(whatever that ends up being).  Not hand out feathers
for people to put in their caps.

I don't see this as the community coming together to
form a council.  I am sorry, I just don't see that
when so much of the Wikimedia community is completely
unaware of this.  I just really feel this is being
done backwards.  You don't create a council to raise
awareness.  You raise awareness and then afterwards
you see how all the people would like to formalize
their participation.  There is not much participation
right now to formalize.

*But the concept of a group of dedicated, trusted and
respected Wikimedians from the community who can
thoughtfully deliberate and help lead community
matters... I'm willing to hear how people view this as
a bad thing.

Who is saying THAT is a bad thing?  Why don't you just
do it?  Start Council meetings with an open
invitation.  Work at recruiting people from smaller
projects.  Ask people to list their top problems for a
voluntary review.  Issue reccomendations.  Then once
you know how it will work and what people want out of
it ... Then get it formalized.  If that happens it
then it would be "a formalization of what takes place
already".  I think you should go for it.  I think
wikicouncil, as a general concept, has potential.  I
do not think we should trying to come up with a
finished concept to write into the by-laws first,
however.

Birgitte SB