[Foundation-l] Where we are headed. (was Wikimedia main office)

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri May 26 17:46:57 UTC 2006

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps this little discussion is misleading.  Some members of the
>> community, who are not board members, but who are of course highly
>> respected community members, have been discussion possible new
>> directions for the foundation which would apparently involve me moving
>> to New York or DC (which isn't going to happen, by the way), and opening
>>  an office there.
>
> Nobody has suggested that you or any other board member would need to move. Board members need not
> be in any Wikimedia office every day.

True.  I am out of the current office many more days than I am in.

> The location of the main office (that is, the one where the
> executive director and most of the staff work) should be, IMO, dictated by where we can most
> easily maximize connections with like-minded organizations and with the relevant representatives
> of the nations we want to work with.

Based on my personal experience and the kinds of things I envision the
foundation doing going forward, I don't agree at the present time.  It
is possible that if we were to take a radical change of direction, this
could make sense.

--Jimbo