[Foundation-l] Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate)

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri May 19 20:19:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 19 May 2006, Lukasz Garczewski wrote:

> If this doesn't seem to convince you think about this for a moment: Why
> don't we just release the logos under a free license? When you come to

Why don't we?  I don't know the reason.  It is possible to have a
freely-licensed logo whose use is regulated via trademark; Debian has
managed this with their logo.

Beyond this, there is a need for free licenses that deal effectively with
copyrightable elements of identity.  Debian and GNOME and other projects
are trying to deal with this.

It is one thing to say "This logo/design cannot be used to create a site
or content that pretends to be Wikipedia content, or confuses [consumers]".
It is another to say that there is no permissible use which does not
require a license (which is the same kind of unscalable arrangement that
traditional copyright makes for other content).

For a related discussion, see:  http://wiki.mako.cc/TrademarkFreedom

Sj