[Foundation-l] Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate)

Domas Mituzas midom.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 18 22:44:39 UTC 2006

Hello,

> I simply believe that we're being nice simply by gathering and
> providing
> knowledge. We do not have to be really, really, reaaaally nice by also
> saying "Please, confuse people and mess with our visual identity by
> using our site design! Go ahead! It's free!". That's not even being
> nice
> anymore. That's being dumb (I know I will most probably regret using
> this word when I wake up tomorrow...).

Sure, let's fight anyone who uses fragment of our 'trademarks'.
Or who use fragments of our 'visual designs'.

I feel that we are here because of what we want to do, not because of
what we've done. If we see, that we can be out-competed by anyone else,
who can be nicer and more efficient, let them lead the way.

Screw all that what we've built, it's all GFDL, it all can be forked.
Let's concentrate on what we, as a community may create and we
won't have to care about trademarks, designs or any power ladders.

And yes, you will regret the word.

Let's confuse everyone with the idea that knowledge can be free.

Let's confuse everyone that they can find information they need in
seconds.

Let's confuse everyone by relying on idea, that in confusion people
start to think and bring new ideas.

Total world domination is nice, but people should have a choice (and
fun :).

And we should not be the watchdog of 'what is our only asset' -
trademarks or whatever else.

Our real asset is potential. And if there's general feeling
otherwise, that would be perfect demotivation.

Domas