[Foundation-l] Design for wikipedia's front page (and corporate)

Łukasz Garczewski tor at oak.pl
Thu May 18 22:35:42 UTC 2006

Anthony DiPierro napisał(a):
> On 5/18/06, Łukasz Garczewski <tor at oak.pl> wrote:
>
>> Sure, giving our website design away under a free license is a nice
>> thing to do but... Why the hell should we be nice?
>>
> The entire reason Wikimedia exists is to be nice.

Sigh... The moment I hit send I knew somebody would say this. We could
spend days discussing the reasons for Wikipedia's existence ("purpose of
meaning" anyone?) as well as the degrees of niceness. ;)

I simply believe that we're being nice simply by gathering and providing
knowledge. We do not have to be really, really, reaaaally nice by also
saying "Please, confuse people and mess with our visual identity by
using our site design! Go ahead! It's free!". That's not even being nice
anymore. That's being dumb (I know I will most probably regret using
this word when I wake up tomorrow...).

Goodnight.

--
Łukasz "TOR" Garczewski