[Foundation-l] The status of smaller languages on the Wikimedia Commons

amgine at saewyc.net amgine at saewyc.net
Sat May 6 16:57:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-05 at 18:13 +0200, folengo at netcourrier.com wrote:

> I think "notafish"'s idea(3) of "launching a massive
>  translation rally"is a good idea. I am ready to go to every village
>  pump of every concerned Wikipedia, use babelfish or Google
>  language tool when I can, or leave a message in French or English
>  when I can't, and recruit a voluntary translator for the Main Page
>  in each language. It is also possible to use all our connections to
>  people who know someone, who know someone... who knows a
>  given language, as Brianna (4) who says she knows someone who
>  speaks arabic. It is also possible to use the History of the pages in
>  the various languages to find the names of the people who wrote
>  them. I think this is a workable alternative to Arnomane's threats,
>  but I am fearful of implementing it in conditions that would enable
>  Arnomane to think that his threats are showing positive results,
> and of going to these village pumps as a message bearer of a
>  threat.
>

> Links
> 1) http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template_talk:Lang-mp
> 2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_to_Serfdom
> 3) http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-May/006988.html
> 4) http://mail.wikipedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-May/006995.html
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Teofilo

Teofilo, please let others help with this effort!

The internal communications subcommittee is working on compiling a list of
water coolers/village pumps/beer parlours/cafés/etc. You can see some of
their work at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_committee/Internal/Distribution_list

The promotion and translation subcommittee is very interested in helping
with translation tasks. Their page is at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_subcommittees/PT but they
may be contacted via the Communications Committee mailing list at
wmfcc-l at mail.wikimedia.org (this list is moderated to reduce spam.)

The Communications Committee holds weekly meetings to be available to the
community. You can see the schedule and agenda for meetings on the
Committee's page on Meta:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Communications_committee

Amgine