[Foundation-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 31 01:30:58 UTC 2006

Angela wrote:

>On 3/31/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>

>>All Board members should have at least read access to ALL committee
>>archives.  It is a part of their duties as corporate directors to be
>>aware of issues when they arise.
>>

>The committees are supposed to report to the Board about what they're
>doing. Shouldn't that prevent the need for us to read the mailing
>lists?

Not at all. Clearly you can't read everything.  Doing so would leave you
little time for anything else.  Nevertheless it should all be
immediately accessible to you when the circumstances require.  Most of
the time you you will only skim and spot-check the topics, and only need
to probe in depth when you see a potential danger.  That kind of
oversight keeps committees accountable, and protects the entire
community from committees which drift off in their own policy
direction.  If the activities of a committee are consistent with their
reports there is nothing to worry about.  I am sure that the corporate
world is full of sub-groups that gradually moved in the direction of
their own agendas, and left their directors unwittingly holding the
legal bag.

Ec