[Foundation-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:21:48 UTC 2006

On 3/30/06, Aphaia <aphaia at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been  claiming the page which contains the obscene word
> mentioned should be deleted because of its obscenity and making
> editors who are really working on there displeased.
>
> Others, most of them were from en.wikipedia opposed strongly.
>
> And now, that word which I can't utter without harming my own dignity
> and decency appears by thank of an editor  whose edits on meta I don't
> know.
[snip]

Your reaction to this article title indicates a shortcoming in your
understanding of English.  You should find the response from the
native English speakers informative. Or are you so biased against
other cultures that you believe all the native English speakers are
heathens without regard to decency?

All it is in a word, and  in most English speaking cultures very few
words carry substantial power or meaning on their own. The word you
object to is certainly not one that would be expected to offend in
most contexts.  Whatever you think it means, you are likely wrong,
because the word does not carry the importance you obviously think it
does.  You may have the litteral meaning correct, but I'm sure you're
aware words have much more than their litteral meaning.  I doubt there
is a word in English which has the same complete meaning as whatever
you are thinking of.