[Foundation-l] Semi-protection on April Fools

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:31:15 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Michael Snow <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Perhaps simply declaring off-limits the stuff that's been done already
> would go a long ways toward cutting down on unfunny April Fools.

Yea, that should be one of the "rules for fools". The last thing we
want is people edit warring because one guy says it's a funny joke and
the other says it's been done. Scarily enough, we have had edit wars
about jokes last year. But given the huge amount of potential
anonymous pranksters out there who have an especially heightened
awareness of Wikipedia in the year 1 AS (After Seigenthaler), I think
something more effective is needed. For people outside the community,
any appeal may only have a "Don't touch that button" effect (or "Don't
bite that apple" if we want to stick to religious metaphors -- but if
vandalism is the original sin, does that mean I get to nail Jimbo to
the cross? ;-).

Erik