[Foundation-l] Semi-protection on April Fools

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 29 02:58:37 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>The problem
>is mostly with users who will insert nonsense into articles as a joke,
>but have no idea (and will not care enough) to remove it later. I'm
>also quite sure that many people will find things funny which we would
>normally consider to be cases of aggressive vandalism. People have
>very different senses of humor. For some, April 1 is the one day of
>the year where they feel they have an obligation to do something
>funny, while they really aren't. Funny. At all.

Part of the reason they're not funny is that most of the time, they're
also not very original. As Wikipedia has now been through a few April
Fool's Days, I've seen quite a variety of jokes, pranks, and hoaxes, and
I'm sure those with more experience and longer memories know of even
more. I would be hard-pressed to come up with something truly original
and funny, but if someone could I'd enjoy it and have no objection.
Perhaps simply declaring off-limits the stuff that's been done already
would go a long ways toward cutting down on unfunny April Fools.

--Michael Snow