[Foundation-l] Rodovid.org, family tree wiki, wishes to become a wiki project

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 26 20:03:10 UTC 2006

Benjamin Webb wrote:

>Yes, I agree, a well aimed donation system would bring in quite a tidy sum
>for a project like this.
>
>As for copyrights, when it comes it Genealogical data, most of it can't be
>copyrighted, as it is mostly facts. I have added certain familysearch
>GEDCOMs to my tree on Rodovid, do you think I am allowed to do this, as it
>is facts.
>
>Of course, having a free license does make it much easier, there isn't an
>issue of trying to draw the line between fact and copyrightable material.
>
>By the way, what do you think of the meta
>page<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Rodovid.org>
>?

Are there any other intellectual property hazards in connection with
GEDCOMs?  Does the LDS church or anyone else hold any software patents?

What verifiability standards would such a project have?

What policies would such a project follow in relation to privacy?
Attitudes toward including living persons in a genealogical database are
not consistent.

While I don't see any big copyright problems in relation to importing
the GEDCOMs of others, I would be very concerned about the accuracy of
these imported files.  GIGO = Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Ec