[Foundation-l] "Chinese Wikimania 2006 to be held in Hong Kong"

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 00:49:29 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I apologize for not being able to jump in earlier to bridge the gap
between ZH users and the rest, since I've been done much of that in
the past. (I'm in the process of moving up to Beijing, so I've not
even been neglecting the mailing lists.)

Here's some observations:

- Hong Kong is an ideal location for the conference for now, since
it's accessible from Taiwan, PRC, Malaysia and Singapore, and there is
complete freedom of speech here.
- The name, if translated literally, for "ÖÐÎľS»ùÄê•þ" (zhong wen wei ji
nian hui) means "Chinese (language) Wiki Annual Meeting"
- I agree it's better not to use "Wikimania," as it's confusing
internally, and even moreso to outsiders. It's not Wikimania East or
Wikimania equivalent for the other side of the world. I would suggest
Chinese Wikimedia Conference or something of the like.
- Apologies again to many Taiwan, HK and PRC users who have contacted
me in the last few weeks for planning help, but have not had the time
to do so. After March 20, I will have more time to lend a hand.

-Andrew