[Foundation-l] Fair use images

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 22:47:57 UTC 2006

On 3/10/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Forget about en.wikipedia !!!!
>
> It is not about en.wikipedia.

I suggest you look at the start of this thread. :)

Do you have a threading mail client?

> Please engage brain or read what has been said.  It is about COMMONS
> and OTHER projects. So forget about the fair use policy. It does not
> apply.

No, this is the direction you've tried to send the thread... but as
far as I can tell, no one else has followed.

> And when you persist in thinking en.wikipedia .. do not talk about US.
> There is more in this world. There are more projects in the WMF and
> this IS the foundation mailing list.

Agreed, but there are many other languages which permit something
roughly equivalent to fair use on enwiki.  It's not a US only concept,
but since I'm not very educated about the policies of other Wikis and
the laws of other countries, I'm stuck speaking in enwiki specific
terms.

Sorry.

If you're upset that other Wiki's refuse logos, then you should take
it up on those Wikis... any form of non-free content is going to too
controversial to force it on all languages by implementing a
substantial change in the character of commonswiki.