[Foundation-l] Glad we are not in New Jersey

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Mar 7 10:45:37 UTC 2006

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

>Hoi,
>I found this http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/A1500/1327_I1.HTM
>My question, if this happened in Florida, would we indeed insist on
>knowing the names of our users ? Or would we say that our projects are
>not a forum?
>
>Thanks,
>   GerardM

I have no idea how they are going to enforce this law, as you are not
even legally required to put correct addresses into contact information
for top-level domain name registration.  Indeed, I've seen it suggested
on some forums that if you register a domain name that you should *not*
put in correct information, and I've seen addresses like "Somewhere in
the middle of the Pacific Ocean" or "Utopia Plantia, Mars" as the
address for the person listed as owning a domain regsitration.  The
reason for putting incorrect information is to avoid spamming (including
junk snail mail) or having some terrorist drop a bomb at your home address.

If the domain registration doesn't have to be correct, how can you
require user information to be correct?  Or on what grounds can you
supeona information?  Send a sheriff to Mars to deliver a summons?
 There may be a paper trail with the domain registration agency in terms
of who actually paid for the domain, but that would take some serious
digging and require a search warrent as well.

None of this even addresses the legal knot of trying to see exactly what
servers would be under New Jersey law.  Even if this were U.S. Federal
law instead, the legal issues would be a mess just to see if a server
could even qualify for enforcement of this law.

--
Robert Scott Horning