[Foundation-l] Results of second (German) Wikipedia usability test online

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 07:38:57 UTC 2006

On 3/7/06, Tim 'avatar' Bartel <wikipedia at computerkultur.org> wrote:
> Hi Wikipedians,
>
> please note, that you can find first results of the second usability
> test ("Editing Information in the German Wikipedia") from
> OpenUsability.org here:
> http://openusability.org/download.php/89/germanwikipedia_usabilitytest_edit.pdf
>
> This isn't only interesting for Germans.

I think it's interesting that it mentions the "Don't know" license trap.

I created the initial version of this on enwiki. It was actually
intended to be somewhat unhelpful to the uploader: The problem we were
having is that uploaders were selecting licenses at random because
they did not take the time to read the instruction. This was creating
a huge problem of incorrectly tagged images which was very difficult
to clean up.

The initial version on enwiki
(http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Template:Don%27t_know&oldid=23465403)
intentionally underplayed the importance of the template. It does not
feature the stop hand or alert icons which most warning templates
have, and it did not have the deletion warning in bold.

The idea was the users who are just care about getting something
uploaded will be satisfied, and the image will survive only with the
help of more established users. We don't want new users changing the
notice, even if this means that some users who could have selected the
right license will not do so... it's better to have 5 more images
flagged for review than 1 incorrectly flagged as free licensed.

I see on english wiki that someone has bolded the text mentioning
deletion, I've changed that.