[Foundation-l] Austrian Wikiversity project

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 22:15:51 UTC 2006

On 3/6/06, Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:
> Apparently around since February:
>
> http://wikiversity.at/
>
> This means that, with http://de.wikiversity.org/ , there are now two
> German-language "Wikiversity" projects. Perhaps they should be asked to
> change their name, or we could change ours (*cough* Wikisophia *cough*).
> Alternatively, the projects could be merged.
>
> Erik

Thanks Erik,

well, my preference would be to merge efforts if possible, but having
looked through their "all pages" -
http://wikiversity.at/MyWiki/index.php?title=Spezial:Allpages - it
seems that this site is specifically devoted to Universities in
Austria (I presume this is what "UniPortal" means), and so it seems to
overlap more with the University Node Wikicity -
http://universitywikinodewiki.wikicities.com/wiki/Main_Page . I had
thought that it was pretty big, but the allpages overstates it
somewhat - most of those pages are yet to be created (though they
aren't red links, hmmm).

On names - I haven't seen much enthusiasm for any name other than
"Wikiversity" - for whatever reason. I understand the concern about
limiting the scope of the project to "university-like" activity - but
we should simply make it clear that we are about *all* levels of
education (as this is pretty much the consensus). Otherwise, we could
rehash the discussion on the name here or on-wiki, but I'm not
convinced it'll be very productive.

(If you're sensing urgency here, it's because there is - I'm currently
trying to give the proposal the final push - more on which later.)

Cormac