[Foundation-l] Open source CRM needed for Wikimedia

Brad Patrick bradp.wmf at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 10:32:25 UTC 2006

Fascinating.  I'm reminded of the phrase "speak now or forever hold your
peace."  Must be wedding season.

Other than the handwringing of "there must be something", I haven't received
a single suggestion of a single bit of actual software from anyone, except
one very kind person who humbly suggested another open source package which
was (in her estimation) "most likely inappropriate" but "worth a look?!?".

To restate the issue (just in case anyone wasn't following along)...if you
are aware of an open source / free CRM package that has functionality that
is enterprise-worthy, email me.  The proprietary package to beat, in the
non-profit case at least, is The Raiser's Edge from Blackbaud.  If you have
the link to a package I should be looking at,  email me.

I think it should not surprise anyone that there are *not* dozens of
alternatives which have the capabilities we need.  When it comes to the
simple question "this is the proprietary solution - does anything in the
open source space compare?" and you have pressing business needs that must
be attended to, you do what you have to do.  The fact that a product which
is not perfect but is probably close enough even exists is fantastic.  And,
on philosophical grounds if you are willing to forego the proprietary
solution which actually *does* work to do what you want out of the box, and
consider the  more-open-than-any-other-solution, I would think that would be
seen as a sign of strength and commitment to pushing back, not a sellout of
an (at presently) unattainable ideal.

We just began our testing of the system, which Brion got up and running late
last week (in a matter of a few hours, btw, thx Brion).   We haven't
committed to it at this point, but it is the system to beat, pending our
testing, gap analysis, and fuller discussion with Sugar about the
Professional package offerings.

-B