[Foundation-l] Open source CRM needed for Wikimedia

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 03:33:15 UTC 2006

I have to agree with much of what Erik is saying here as well. The key
statement for me is "there are of course areas where open source software  cannot
(yet) compete." In response the software package being examined is the  most
open of those available which meets the Foundation's specific needs.

For those who are not in the know, these needs are threefold: 1) donor
management, 2) press management, and 3) volunteer management (i.e., building a
database of volunteers with specific skills and circumstances, who can respond
to specific tasks, such as a request to interview someone who specializes in
classical music, or someone who has a flatbed scanner at home). Other needs
will  likely be identified over time as well. We need a package that can handle
all of  the above--the package being examined can do that--and it is generally
open  source. In fact, the propritary part is the privacy component, which
means  that confidential information about donors and volunteers will not be
accessible  to anyone with an internet connection.

I do not think it lies within the scope of our mission to provide financial
support for the development of free software alternatives, but I  generally
accept Erik's other points, particularly that a partially  proprietary solution
is preferable to a fully proprietary one. I would add,  however, that we
should not compromise on the quality of our solutions.

Danny

In a message dated 6/25/2006 12:58:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,