[Foundation-l] (volunteer) job position : Ombudsperson checkuser (or checkuser Ombudsperson or whatever)

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 21:31:59 UTC 2006

> On 6/21/06, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Methinks it's a quest to be ready in case it actually happens. To express it
>>as an irritating buzzword, "proactive."

Arnomane criticized
 > So data security is very important and it should be made clear to all
 > ckeckusers but creating yet another ombudsman creates IMHO more
avoidable
 > meta-work (= work that does not improve a wikipedia article).
 > IMHO "CheckUser-abuse" is mainly an en.wikipedia problem and should be
 > adressed there locally in the main line.
 >
 > Arnomane

 >And Robert also questionned
 >If the abuse hasn't happened, where is the move to create such a
 >position in the first place?  A quest for political power?

-- Robert Scott Horning

Will that create more meta work ?
No. It will delegate meta work or move meta work to another person. I am
currently doing the job.

Is it a quest for political power ?
No. Given that *I* suggested this position, I can clarify that I am not
seeking more power.

Is it a quest to be ready in case it actually happens ?
It is not a quest. I sure hope abuse will *never* happen. But better to
be ready when it actually happens. And better that I drop doing the job
rather than doing it poorly.

Last point. I asked the board his opinion about the whole issue. Angela
suggested that we could update the privacy policy, which was pretty old
stuff since it did not take into account the checkuser tool ;-)
A new version was still pending. It is now adopted.

ant