[Foundation-l] (volunteer) job position : Ombudsperson checkuser (or checkuser Ombudsperson or whatever)

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 10:44:39 UTC 2006

The board regularly receives some complaints about checkuser activity
and what happened is either that no one look at the case, or look at
them poorly. In 95% of case, the "abuse" is imaginary; but we can not be
sure that one day there will not be a problem.

So, what I suggest is a sort of ombuds-wo-man for checkuser, who will
offer a sympathetic ear to complainers, take charge of investigating
cases for the board in an official manner, mediate between the checkuser
and the complainer when the case is litigious, educate checkuser if
necessary, and will report to the board in case where there IS a problem.

Additionnaly, this person might have a sort of "overview" over the way
the checkuser system works and may give us suggestions of suitable
modifications of policies. Or recommandations of software changes.

We need to have one or two people specifically named, so as to be able
to say "please, talk to xxx" and to be *sure* a case is taken into
consideration (as opposed to "but I thought someone else was taking care
of this").

Any volunteers ?

PS : if necessary, set up a general email address for abuse reporting,
with an OTRS file.