[Foundation-l] List congestion

Tim Starling t.starling at physics.unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jun 16 01:03:07 UTC 2006

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> While all this discussion of the cost of pizza in Tampa Bay is
> very interesting, it might be polite to other list members if
> discussions are kept focused on the organization of the Wikimedia
> Foundation and its board.  I'm not speaking for any of these, I'm
> just a bystander with an interest in statistics.
>
> In the last week, I have received 216 messages addressed to
> foundation-l. That would be 800 posts per month, which is twice as
> much as the comfortable level.  As a comparison, wikitech-l saw
> 124 messages in the same time and the German wikide-l only 44.
>
> The most frequent posters to foundation-l were:
>
>      24 From: Michael R. Irwin
>      20 From: Anthony DiPierro
>      14 From: Kelly Martin
>      13 From: Erik Moeller
>      11 From: Gregory Maxwell
>      10 From: Zack Clark
>      10 From: Anthere
>       8 From: Jimmy Wales
>       6 From: Robert Scott Horning
>       6 From: Delirium

I must have missed the thread about the cost of pizza. I think it's great
that we're finally seeing some detailed public discussion of foundation
issues. Mailing lists don't get congested, they just get busy. And since the
foundation is growing, it's only going to get busier. My advice would be to
use a client that allows grouping or threading, and then to skip the threads
that you don't want to read. Personally, I use Thunderbird to access the
NNTP service from gmane.org.

-- Tim Starling