[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jun 14 00:02:18 UTC 2006

> On 6/13/06, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Sure, there are systematic problems with building something of high
> > quality using a wiki.
>
> It's not a fault of wiki

So the fact that anyone can come along and screw up anything in
Wikipedia doesn't have anything to do with the fact that some parts of
it are screwed up?

> > But do you really think the board can do
> > anything to fix them?  Moreover, do you think a different board would
> > have fixed the problem you've pointed out by now?
>
> The foundation can help, yes. For example, we could direct our paid
> developers to create simple tools which help users review. Things like
> the ill fated 'reviewed revision' which actually work.  If the
> community is unwilling to do this work even when made as easy and
> efficient as possible, which I expect, then we need to staff up for
> it.
>
> I don't fault the current board for not doing this yet. I was
> specifically addressing the claim that the projects correctly manage
> themselves. They don't.
>
> I have no clue why you attempted that blame the board angle here,
> because my post had nothing to do with that...

My fault, I was confused as to your argument.  You're saying it's the
community's fault.

Not that I see how the community is in any better of a situation to
fix the problem, unless you consider the vandals part of the
community.

> > After seeing Wikipedia in action for so long people tend to forget
> > just how amazing it is.  Pretty much anyone can edit pretty much any
> > part of it at any time.  It's remarkable that the idea works in the
> > first place.
>
> That has nothing to do with Wikipedia and everything to do with human
> nature. I was mistaken about this at one point, but SJ clued reminded
> me of one of the lines Jimbo used to repeat a lot "People are
> basically good". This why you can park your car on a public street day
> in and day out and not come out and find it keyed or vandalized every
> single day.
>
> So basically we've managed to do about as well as human nature would
> cause us to do as a default. ... and now we sit in awe of our success,
> and I think thats pretty broken.

People are basically good.  And Wikipedia is basically good.  If
anything's broken, it's the expectation.

Anthony