[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Jun 13 23:08:02 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
>
>> Where is this potentially libelous material they are supposedly "loaded"
>> with?  If you are making this claim: There have in the past existed a
>> nonzero number of libelous claims in Wikipedia articles, that's
>> certainly a reasonable claim.  But to claim they're "loaded" with such
>> material requires some evidence.
>>

> Nine presses of random page:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrisholme
> Thirty six presses:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_Alan_Bittinger

It seems you're unlucky or something, because I just hit random page a
full 100 times and found nothing particularly bad.

In any case, I don't think we disagree that there should be a way of
tagging pages with their degree of "doneness".  I don't see what that
has to do with community mismanagement in need of the Foundation to fix
it though---the community has in fact proposed doing just that, complete
with some detailed proposals, while the Foundation certainly hasn't
(see: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Article_validation_proposals).  It
hasn't actually happened yet because: 1) it's only been fairly recently
(I'd say the last 6 months or so) that it's become a more pressing
priority than writing content in the first place; 2) it's a fairly
difficult problem to solve without falling into the bottomless pit of
complex-but-gameable systems.

That said, I don't object to the Foundation prodding things along, for
example by organizing a working group to come up with a more final
proposal suitable for implementation.  Some coordination across projects
would be particularly helpful with that.

-Mark