[Foundation-l] Volunteering--where are we heading

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Tue Jun 13 12:06:43 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>This has been a very instructive discussion for me, at least.
>
>Unofficially, at least, I would like to make a proposal. I would like to
>invite people on this list to email me at _dwool at wikimedia.org_
>(mailto:dwool at wikimedia.org)  if they are
>
>a) interested in volunteering in various capacities,
>b) in what particular capacities they are interested
>c) what particular skills and experiences they bring to the table
>d) when they would be available to volunteer
>e) how much time they would be able to devote to this
>f) what particular equipment they have that can be used (color printer,
>scanner, an amazing long-dstance phone plan, etc.)
>f) how they can be contacted
>f) any other ideas you might have
>
>I will then begin to create a database with this information.
>
>This does not mean that you will automatically be given something to do.  Nor
>does it mean that you will be asked to do exactly what you want. It will,
>however, help to coordinate some of the many tasks that need doing, such as
>stuffing envelopes, coordinating databases, etc.
>
>I think that this can be a first step toward greater involvement.
>
>Remember, send it to my work address: _dwool at wikimedia.org_
>(mailto:dwool at wikimedia.org) . Do not send it to  this address.
>
>Note that I am not doing this in any official capacity whatsoever. I would
>be more than happy to have one or two volunteers help organize this.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Danny

Under the other ideas, category f:

Another way to approach this is to write an available task list or work
breakdown structure detailing what useful tasks exist which a volunteer
could tackle,  include minimum skills or experience or tools if those
are known.  Then publish the list or work breakdown structure for
comment and use.  Most project managers do something like this in
initial planning and then revise it as team members start to buy in and
provide useful feedback on how to get things moving productively  .... a
wiki should be an ideal communications tool to integrate tweaks and
suggestions from the interested members of the community.   Names and
suspenses could be included and tracked or not as the powers that be
advise or specific volunteers choose.

lazyquasar