[Foundation-l] fundraising

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sun Jun 11 18:37:40 UTC 2006

Kelly Martin wrote:

>On 6/11/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>

>>Has any thought gone into producing printed materials (either on CD or
>>even dead tree format) for high quality materials derived from Wikimedia
>>project pages?
>>

>I fear that printed material like this is of sufficiently low margin
>as to not be a very effective fundraising activity.  The costs
>involved in producing high-quality printed material are substantial.
>Sadly, the quality of product produced by the vanity presses (like
>Lulu) is not very high, and I fear that it would do us a disservice.
>(I have the same concern regarding the merchandise we sell through
>Cafe Press.)
>
>Kelly

And that is precisely the risk we are talking about here.  And one of
the many reasons why it hasn't been done.  The difference here is that
Wikipedia does have a brand that means something beyond those typical of
a vanity press, and a reason why I think there should be at least an
exploration of the idea with some test-marketing.  As far as Cafe Press
is concerned, the up-front costs are sufficiently low enough that it
justifies the marginal income that comes in from such an activity.  I'm
not suggesting that this can completely or even substantially replace
the current direct plea for donations, but it could be some minor income
to add that extra little bit needed.

And this is something supposedly already covered by some grant money
(aka Wikijunior) where supposedly some printed materials were promised
but never delivered.  I'm suggesting that perhaps we need to deliver on
at least that promise, and it would be a good avenue to see if other
printed materials might also be attractive.

--
Robert Scott Horning