[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 21:15:17 UTC 2006

> I'm not faulting any person, but rather our process causes our product
> to have a fairly low quality from a licensing accuracy perspective.

I'm not aware of any repository of similar size which is better at
policing copyright than Commons, i.e., I think it is the best-policed
general free content media repository out there. It still has very
much room for improvement, of course. But when I compare it to some of
the stuff I've seen in the Creative Commons section on Flickr for
months or years without any visible effort to remove it,  or the
copyright problems a project like Ourmedia is faced with
(user-contributed videos which often have loads of copyrighted stuff
in them), we are extremely careful about copyright. Heck, an example
screenshot I made to illustrate a feature of the MediaWiki software is
about to be deleted because it has a Wikimedia logo in it.

Erik