[Foundation-l] Instant Commons : INCORRECT

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:52:47 UTC 2006

Hoi,
Either it is a resource there to used or it is not. You dodge this
questions with arguments that have nothing to do with the point. The
point is: it is there to be used or it is not.

If it is not safe to use, we cannot use it either. Once we have
checked content, we can stamp it with the "Commons stamp of approval"
or we can do whatever. My point is that if Commons is to be a public
resource it should be allowed to be a public resource. It being a
resource that is approached by machines allows people to respect the
license by providing correct license information. At this moment you
are lucky when they attribute Commons and it is rare when all the
relevant info is properly posted.

InstantCommons is one way to improve the fulfillment of the
requirements that licenses define. I could even be so bold and say
that InstantCommons is the best way to ensure that usage of the
Commons material will be properly attributed. I can even be so bold
and say that what you see as the weakness of Commons is the strength
of InstantCommons; We can register where a file was downloaded to.
When this file is found to be a copyvio, people will see that it is
also at Commons and this will allow them to remedy the situation.
Remote Wikis can be informed as to the problematic content they
downloaded.

Yes, Commons is responsive and needs to stay that way. When content is
removed, it is no longer available. When content is marked as
problematic, it needs not to be available for InstantCommons. We can
record what was downloaded from Commons by what Wiki. We can do
whatever. There are two things that should be clear: we can inform a
non-WMF wiki about problematic material but it is up to the management
of this Wiki to take the appropriate action.

Thanks,
    GerardM

Yes, all this is very much a re-hash. Most/All of these things have
been said before.