[Foundation-l] Donations - Direction - Destiny

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Jun 8 20:51:26 UTC 2006

Zack Clark wrote:

>Listen up, CREATING WEALTH & BEAUTY IS YOUR STRONGEST FORTE.
>OK? So why weaken yourself by pandering to false & pathetic
>scarcity principles wholly alien to the wiki spirit?  Your
>proper placement for key endeavors should always be right
>at the very top. But let me just say that you will never
>be sterling players in the supplicant's area. There are
>just far too many of them who have already honed their
>curious craft to razor sharpness.  Even if you should
>become honored & famed fund raisers that inevitably
>lures one into the sullen slippery slope realm of
>the lecherous lobbyist.  And before you know it
>your previously free & wide open world starts
>shrinking to accommodate the mean & narrow
>minded precepts of the status quo.
>
>The very existence of vastly varied cultures resulting solely
>from the segregation of populations is itself, an indisputable
>indictment of individuals' innate predisposition to assimilate
>cultural norms. So it is no surprise that so many minds -after
>years of turning to dollars for their very survival- form this
>impression that fiat currency is necessary and scarcity is the
>natural way of the world. They then run both their daily lives
>and organizations in accordance with the status quo's dictates.
>So even while we may be setting on top of a mountain of wealth,
>there is always the blind propensity to ignore our true assets
>and instead seek after rather dangerously deceptive currencies.
>But just as 7F (as expressed through WP) stands to obliterate
>the sordid sanctity of copyright;  a well working alternative
>to FRNs (Federal Reserve Notes) could crack our dependence on
>that harmful mind warping illusion also.
>

>Z.Clark

While I might have dismissed this posting, there is some things that I
do agree with you here.

There is the point of fundraising, however.  This is unfortunately
necessary as there are physical, tangible assetts that need to be
aquired (in the case of the WMF, there is the server farms) and some
professionals that are required to maintain these servers.  This means
that Wikipedia and the sister projects need to exist in an environment
that requires hard, cold cash.  Paying for internet bandwidth isn't free
either, and for the quantities that Wikipedia uses, normally won't even
be donated by most organizations, for profit or not.  Indeed Wikipedia
gets discounts in terms of value per megabyte simply because of the
volume of data being streamed from Wikimedia servers.  Fundraising is a
necessary evil, and that requires the whole thing of trying to deal with
accountants, lawyers, trademarks, CEOs, and professional staff.
 Considering the size of the volunteer force that is available and
working on Wikimedia projects, this professional component is
surprisingly small, even for similarly minded charitble activities.  And
the value produced per dollar donated to the WMF is quite high, which is
why thousands of dollars have come in simply by sticking out a tin cup
and asking for some donations, with the only real ads for this coming
from the website itself.

That said, I hope that we stick to proven fundraising techniques, and
don't waste too much effort or time into grants that may end up being
more of a hassle than any real value.  A couple of ideas and projects
have floated by that have made me scratch my head a little bit to wonder
just why it was thought up, but at least people are trying to be creative.

I want to thank Jimbo on trying to avoid getting the WMF into any
political mess, including the network bandwidth issue and other seeming
partisian neutral issues.  For crying out loud, there are enough
internal politics going on with Wikimedia projects to last for a
lifetime.  We don't need to turn Wikimedia projects into political
battle grounds any more than [[w:George W. Bush]] already is.

--
Robert Scott Horning