[Foundation-l] Eloquence #00 - was: Instant Commons : INCORRECT

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 20:43:11 UTC 2006

On 6/8/06, Zack Clark <meta at world1tours.com> wrote:
>  > Wikipedia is an insanely bad idea from a legal
>  > point of view and would never have been started
>  > through _any_ process which we are actually using
>  > in our organization to start things.

> Dear Erik, could you kindly elaborate?
> I'm personally favor the concept of positioning your-
> self out of harms way in the first place rather than
> plunging into some slime pit of leaches just because
> it's the norm. So I sense you have valuable insights
> here that could spare us a world of big hurt & havoc!

See [[John Seigenthaler, Sr.]]. We publish potentially libelous
information alongside a huge collection of well-referenced quality
material, under the same logo, without any distinction for the reader
between one and the other. We make that information available as free
content, and allow anyone to scrape it off our site or download our
database, meaning that the libelous information gets copied all over
the place. Legally speaking, if Wikipedia didn't exist, no lawyer
would ever approve it.

Erik