[Foundation-l] Moving the "test Wikipedias"

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Jun 8 16:43:30 UTC 2006

Nicholas Moreau wrote:

>On 6/6/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
>

>>Cormac Lawler wrote:
>>

>>>Great! But is it too late to discuss the scope of this wiki? We've had
>>>discussions about having a separate wiki as an incubator for potential
>>>new Wikimedia projects (see:
>>><http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikernel> or the older
>>><http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Seed_wiki>). Could/will this be that
>>>wiki?
>>>

>>Sure, why not?
>>

>So can/should we move all of Wikiversity there? What about Wikijunior?
> Isn't Wikibooks just holding these until they are moved onto their
>own domain, therefore acting like the incubator wiki?  Wouldn't it be
>more apposite for them to be there instead?
>

>I'm not sure Wikijunior was originally intended to be a seperate
>project, actually.  I'd love for it to be seperate of Wikibooks, as we
>do have a domain registered for it, but the WJ community opposed such
>a move previously.
>
>Nick

I have been a very long time critic of the process that started
Wikijunior on Wikibooks, but at the same time the opposition to moving
Wikijunior was simply that a formal project proposal needed to be
started, with a good number of organization questions answered before it
could be moved.  While these questions were answered by the individual
who wanted to do the move, it really needed a larger Wikimedia user
concensus before it could happen.

As far as having Wikibooks be an incubator project for new project idea,
I think the defacto status of doing so has some promise, where project
like Wikiversity, Wikijunior, and the Wikimania proceedings were on
Wikibooks.  This is a demonstration of what Wikibooks could be under one
vision, but again repeated requests to formalize this philosophy and
make it actual policy on Wikibooks has met considerable resistance,
including from several board members (including Jimbo) who have noted
that Wikibooks should not be the incubator project for Wikimedia users.
 As a matter of fact, Wikibooks has a explicit policy that prohibits
anybody from using Wikibooks as a free webhosting service, and
explicitly stated in [[b:WB:WIW]] that Wikibooks is not a site to
develop new Wikimedia projects.  This clause was added due to comments
on this list, and concensus on Wikibooks that this was a reasonable policy.

Wikijunior and Wikiversity were on Wikibooks before this policy was
created and enforced, so in effect these projects were "grandfathered"
and left alone until other means were available to deal with them.  With
the Wikiversity sub-committee wrapping things up (a formal report will
very shortly be given to the board), there is no need to move the
content to an incubator wiki and then to another site again afterwards,
nor move de.wikiversity to the incubator either.  I would imagine that
Wikijunior would go through a somewhat similar process in the next year
or two eventually.  With seven Wikijunior books now at a substantial
level of completion, there is some real substance to work with on
Wikijunior that would be the basis for a new sister project at some time
in the future, not to mention that Wikijunior is also available in
several different languages as well, including Chinese, French, German,
and Italian.

--
Robert Scott Horning