[Foundation-l] Fundraising ideas - using what we've already got

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 15:39:02 UTC 2006

On 08/06/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> What would be really cool if we can make a contest out of creating
> these pictures. When we want to provide pictures in certain categories
> for EVERY country, we can use it to stimulate interest in these
> countries.. when the "enemy" has a face, it becomes more like a
> "friend".

Hm... Featured Pictures is already quite a contest, and not such a
friendly one. God forbid you nominate yet another sunset. :) I am not
sure that encouraging generic-type images is such a great idea. It
tends to be better if we have images created for a specific purpose,
that happen to be beautiful and awesome and wallpapery.

Or if you mean encourage it just for specific countries, that's
probably a good idea (save half a dozen countries which are probably
already overrepresented).

> Even when a contest costs us money (a T-shirt a Certificate with the
> name of the photographer and the picture on it) it also helps us raise
> awareness of Commons. When we make this an anual event it will only be
> bigger next year.

CafePress also does prints. We have some amazing panoramas that would
go perfectly on your corporate boardroom wall.... or your parents'
hallway.

Didn't Wikimania have several photo competitions last time, or was
that something else? Is Wikimania doing that this year?

Also I don't know if cash is even necessary - we're talking about
wikicontributors, after all. Prestige and bragging rights tend to be a
big drawcard.

Brianna