[Foundation-l] Would you consider being on the Board?

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 04:41:29 UTC 2006

On 6/6/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Outsiders will obviously be appointed. For community members, we roughly
> have 4 solutions
> * board appoint people (benefit, we are more likely to get people with
> the best skills compared with what we need. Drawback : see current
> criticism)
> * community votes for people (Drawback : less chance to get great people
> from minority languages or projects. Might miss some great choices.)
> * community votes per group perhaps, board pick up in the outcome
> (en.wiki arbitration type). (Drawback : board might be expected to pick
> up those with highest number of votes anyway)
> * Board pre-selection, then community vote (Benefit : more likely to get
> what is truely needed).

The forth method might reduce the work election officers have to do,
too. And for reflecting the voice of community,  it would work well
enough. This way is very similar of promotional eligibility in my
university where I was granted BA. There we had veto to the sole
candidate for university president, and if he couldn't get the
majority of voters, he would lose. So as for dean candidate. I haven't
known anyone who complain around that during my student life except
one professor who scorned us because of too low voting rate on a
going-on election at that time ...

--
Aphaia
aka