[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jun 5 15:13:04 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:
> These are at least two important statements to have on the record, so
> thanks for that, in spite of the fact that you ignored all my other
> points. Why "by the end of this year" and not "within the next couple
> of months"?

To give time in case the process takes longer than we would like.  I see
no reason to publicly commit to a timetable when I am not sure.  Under
promise, over deliver.

> What is it that makes these decisions so complex and hard
> to take?

The composition of the board is of critical importance to insuring that
our core mission and community values are respected.  A healthy
discussion in the community takes time.  Recruitment of board members,
assessing our needs, interviewing candidates, all of these things take
time.  A wrong decision could be disastrous, as the board is the
ultimate legal authority.  I make no apologies for moving cautiously and
with great thought, because I think that transitioning us from a tiny
club into a large organization is my highest responsibility to us all.

> And when it comes to inviting an outside
> member, how is that member going to be chosen? Will there be a public
> dialogue about who the best figure is for this role, or will they
> simply be appointed?

It would be absolutely fine to start a public dialogue about it right
now.  Who do you recommend we approach?

--Jimbo