[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:48:16 UTC 2006

> It is my expectation that Tim will be replaced by the end of this year.
>
> Notice that such decisions are not up to me, but up to the entire board.
>  We have been discussing board expansion, and it is a complex matter.
> We are not prepared to say at the moment exactly how or when it will
> happen.  My expectation is that we will see at least one additional
> member from the community, and one additional member (likely from the
> free software / free culture world) to provide additional external
> oversight.

These are at least two important statements to have on the record, so
thanks for that, in spite of the fact that you ignored all my other
points. Why "by the end of this year" and not "within the next couple
of months"? What is it that makes these decisions so complex and hard
to take? The Board situation hasn't changed since Angela and Anthere
were elected two years ago -- in fact, their one year terms were
extended to two year terms without much discussion. I understand the
need for continuity. I do not understand the conservative and very
slow process in which Wikimedia is reorganizing itself.

Of course you cannot make such a decision alone, but you can certainly
communicate your intent and your rationale fully, as can all other
Board members. When that is done, it should become fairly clear where
the community stands on an issue, and that could very well be a good
way to resolve a standstill. And when it comes to inviting an outside
member, how is that member going to be chosen? Will there be a public
dialogue about who the best figure is for this role, or will they
simply be appointed?

Erik