[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Mon Jun 5 00:07:02 UTC 2006

On 6/4/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > On or about January 6, 2006 I found a copy on the Guidestar website.
> > I uploaded it to Wikimedia commons, and Delphine Ménard deleted it.
>
> Copyrighted ?

No, the reason given was "this is obsolete, and certainly not to be
uploaded on Commons."
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ALog&type=delete&user=&page=Image%3AWikimedia+990+2004.pdf

In a couple emails the rationale was given that the address was
incorrect (IIRC the original foundation address was the same as
Jimbo's home address), that such documents are official, and that they
have no place on the commons (which is "supposed to be a media
repository, not really a place for such official documents").  My
response was that "I really don't care where you put it."  I also said
that "if someone provides me with a copy with the officer address
information blacked out, I won't personally distribute the copy with
the address information included.  I don't personally care about the
addresses."  (though I did find the purchase price of Jimbo's
residence mildly interesting)  Anyway, I never got a copy with the
address info blacked out.

> > There was talk at that point about blacking out the officer addresses
> > "and SSNs" (which I put in quotes because the document on Guidestar
> > doesn't have any SSNs in it; it contains the EIN of the organization
> > which is public knowledge and can be found on Florida's corporate
> > information site) and uploading it to the foundation site.  This was
> > supposedly taken to the internal mailing list.
>
> I have no memory of that discussion... which does not prove it did not
> take place...
> Dunno what are SSN's and EIN...

SSNs are social security numbers, which are generally considered to be
sensitive personal information.  For most living people they're hard
to obtain, though many CEOs of publically traded corporations had
their SSN published on the SEC website (a US government organization
website) up until about 1999.

EINs are employer identification numbers.  They are essentially the
corporation equivalent of the SSN, but they are not considered to be
sensitive information.  Most states, including Florida, publish the
EINs of all corporations on their websites.

Anthony