[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sun Jun 4 22:48:07 UTC 2006

On 6/4/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anthony DiPierro wrote:
> > On 6/3/06, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I agree completely.  But when we post everything we can publicly, have
> >>open meetings, have community committees, and then people don't read it,
> >>well, I don't agree that this is "being cut off".
> >>

> > A list of resolutions which have passed, in most cases without vote
> > counts or any other information, with pending resolutions not even put
> > into the view for months, is not "everything you can publicly".
> >
> > In fact, I asked your CFO over a year ago for a copy of the latest
> > 990, which is by law publically available and the IRS recommends for
> > it to be posted on the foundation's website.  I have received nothing
> > other than the very first 990-EZ which has finally arrived on the
> > Guidestar website.  You haven't posted everything you can publicly.
> > Not even close.
>
> Not the CFO fault :-)

I know.  The CFO told me he didn't even have the document yet, even
though it had already been filed.  Looking up the dates, the fiscal
year ended June 30, 2004, the 990-EZ was originally due on November
15, 2004, assuming two extensions were granted it was then due by May
15, 2005, it's dated April 1, 2005 (ha), it was stamped as received by
the IRS on June 28, 2005, the CFO still didn't have a copy of it on
August 6, 2005, and on June 6, 2006 the document still isn't posted
anywhere on the foundation website (though it is now available through
Guidestar).

> Our fiscal year run from june to june. The Foundation was created in
> 2003, but I am not sure the 990 2003 would make much sense to you. I
> never saw it myself, though I was told my name appeared on it.

Your name and what seems to be your address.

On or about January 6, 2006 I found a copy on the Guidestar website.
I uploaded it to Wikimedia commons, and Delphine Ménard deleted it.
There was talk at that point about blacking out the officer addresses
"and SSNs" (which I put in quotes because the document on Guidestar
doesn't have any SSNs in it; it contains the EIN of the organization
which is public knowledge and can be found on Florida's corporate
information site) and uploading it to the foundation site.  This was
supposedly taken to the internal mailing list.

> The 990 of 2004 was only recently sent. It actually contains some errors
> which should be fixed soon. Since it is a public document, I suppose we
> can put it on Foundation website once fixed? Or add a link if it is
> available somewhere on the web ? Will check that.
> As for the 990 2005, it is too early for it to exist.
>
> Ant

I certainly would like a copy, and I'd rather not wait for Guidestar
to get around to scanning it in first.  Additionally, if the
organization is at all interested in transparency posting a copy of
the latest 990s on the foundation website would be the appropriate
response.

Anthony