[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Jun 3 23:45:27 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:
> So, I don't see what can really be done about
> that.  I'm pretty resigned to the fact that committees, lawyers, and
> other random things seem to spring from nowhere without anyone,
> sometimes even the two elected board members, having heard about them.
> Clearly we aren't in control of the organization, and I don't see how
> that's likely to change.

That is a very strange interpretation of recent events, to be honest
with you.  The committees did not spring "from nowhere" but are, as you
may want to notice, creations of, by, and for the community.  The
lawyers are not robots, they are community members.  When I turn to
someone like Michael Snow or Brad Patrick or Jean-Baptiste Souffron for
help with legal issues, I frankly think it is a deep insult to them for
you to suggest that they are not members of the community.

> In general, this doesn't feel like a free-culture organization.  I don't
> require Richard Stallman clones to be heading up all such organizations

Do you have any idea how the FSF is run?  It is not a community
organization at all.