[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 1 10:25:38 UTC 2006

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Executive_committee/February_11%2C_2006_open_meeting_log

> [...]
> say: "wiki and organization are different things and
> need to be kept
> separate." And, guess what, the lawyers agree!
>
> There is virtually no active pressure or demand from
> the actual
> community for openness, participatory processes and
> transparency
> within the Wikimedia Foundation. As a result, there
> are very little.
> The committees which have been formed are useful,
> but they pick and
> choose their members on a case by case basis (or
> perhaps I should say
> "face by face") -- cf. GerardM's rejected membership
> application to
> the Special Projects committee. At least during the
> transitional
> phase, the amount of bureauracy is even worse than
> it was at the time
> we were ruled by the Board and the Board alone.
>
> A process whereby every committee holds open, widely
> announced
> meetings and where advisor status is granted
> instantly without
> bureaucratic process was discussed, but does not
> seem to be practiced
> by any of the committees.
>
> Even a trivial idea like putting a couple of new
> community-elected
> members on the Board has been proposed years ago but
> never
> implemented. But, then again, has there been any
> pressure from the
> community for such change to hapepn? Hardly at all.
> When a couple of
> "big shot" outside people are appointed to Board
> positions and the
> Board remains otherwise as it is, sure, there will
> be the usual round
> of whining. But during the processes that actually
> matter, the people
> who whine later tend to be conspicuously absent.
>
> So, Wikimedia is shaped by people who feel that the
> very philosophy
> that made WP a success is not applicable to
> organizations. Wikimedia
> will become a functioning non-profit with the usual
> bureucratic
> processes, some successful fundraising, a few good
> partnerships here
> and there, a bunch of "professionals", lots of
> infighting among
> volunteers, etc. It will not become the open
> platform for social and
> technological change that it could be -- the wide
> network of people
> who are interested in building a free knowledge and
> free culture
> movement.  And who is to blame for that? Not the
> people who made it
> so. They have only the best interests of Wikimedia
> in mind and work
> their ass of to do what they can to make it a
> success. The people who
> are to blame are those who did not participate in
> turning Wikimedia
> into something else, something larger, when it

Without knowing the full history, or many details at
all, I can understand both sides of this.  It is a
difficult issue.  Right now, the people who will end
up with access to the system, will simply be those who
have made themselves known to the people with access.
This is generally how the world works, and there has
been some discusion about the problems with this in
the Checkuser thread as well.  Within an organization
like WMF, this leads to a few problems in my eyes.
One you miss out on the qualified, experienced
people's input who do not happen to have a political
bent. And most importantly you skew the whole
organization away from the diverse and global feel.
That saddens me sitting here in the US, so I imagine
is really upsets the more "diverse" people  around.
This is also the reason there is the blurry line
between en.WP and WMF that has been brought up here.
Because most people only get access to the latter is
through the former.

That said it is much easier to get things done when
they are kept closed.  I cannot imagine how a truly
open system would work, and can easily believe it
would not work well.  I am not so much of an idealist
as I once was to insist on principles.  I understand
the need for pragmatism.  However, I would like
encourage everyone to take a minute to examine where
we are.  Examine what are the criteria for information
being put in a public area vs. a closed one.  Be sure
things are pushed to open areas whenever it is
practical.  Make a real effort to recruit more people
in from smaller languages instead of just waiting for
them to show up here.  I think more recruiting should
be done period.  For needed skill sets, etc.  I have
never seen the WMF foundation asking the communities
for anything besides money and trust.  I believe the
communities have much more to offer.

Honestly I trust you all, I don't need to read all the
discussions to feel comfortable here.  However, I
think that by doing things as you are, you are
overwhelming yourselves and missing out on the
experience available in the wider communities.  I
think anyone who reads this list must get the feeling
many people are simply overwhelmed with what they have
taken on.  The idea seems to be this will be fixed by
hiring professionals, but the further that route is
followed the more closed this will become.  Or else we
will have major retention problems.  I can not imagine
having my *job* open to the critique of all of you.
The email where it was misunderstood that BradP was a
paid employee is the tip of the iceberg.  I would
suggest putting out a call for volunteers for specific
tasks, and ask for resumes(which is a good example of
something that *should* be kept closed).  Look for
people with actual experience and that can work
together so no one is overwhelmed.  And whenever
possible people you do *not* already know well.
Seriously on a wiki a through read of someone
contributions can tell you most all the things you
would learn from a solid acquaintance.

I truly believe if there is not a effort made to keep
everything as open as possible now, there will be when
the chapters come into thier own.  So I am not too
concerned.  Although it would be better from a
practical standpoint, if the middle ground could be
found now.

Birgitte SB