[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Sat Jun 3 14:29:32 UTC 2006

On 6/3/06, Gavin Chait <gchait at gmx.net> wrote:

> > Someone is needed to bootstrap the
> > organization ... I think it's important to make it
> > clear that this isn't a permanent position, though.  In part, because
> > it's dangerous to assign such a position when you really have no clue
> > what the position is
>
> > One thing I think is important though is the interim CEO should be
> > made aware that a big part of eir job is going to be explaining eir
> > actions to the entire membership
>
> So far the CEO / COO / Director *interim* position can be summarised as
> follows:
>
> "We need help real fast.  We don't know what help we need and would like you
> to tell us.  Please don't ruffle any feathers.  Don't do anything without
> telling everyone in the community.  We'll get back to you about what we
> decide."
>
> So, appointing an *interim* CEO / COO / Director will have a result
> equivalent to not appointing an *interim* CEO / COO / Director.  The core
> problem: "We don't know what to do next and we need help deciding what to
> do," won't have been solved and can't be solved until the board and
> community decide.

I don't see how appointing an interim CEO/COO/Director doesn't solve
that problem.  My presumption is that such a person would know what to
do next, and would be able to convince the board and most of the
community that she's right about it.

> > You've given your own suggestions above, but what is the board going
> > to do, say "hey, Gavin Chait said this is how we should do it, so lets
> > go with it"?  I don't think it's going to happen.
>
> Why not?  I have 15 years experience in South Africa developing and running
> non-profit organisations in fields as diverse as HIV / AIDS, education and
> small business development.  I've worked with student-run, university-based
> organisations, corporate funded ones, and institutional versions.  I have
> fund-raised, written proposals, developed ideas and implemented them.  Some
> of my ideas even work.
>
> I'm probably not the only person with this sort of experience on this list
> but I do have some idea of what it takes to run a self-sustaining non-profit
> social benefit organisation.
>
> So why not listen to my suggestions?  They are my opinions, based on my
> experiences.  They are freely and honestly given.  I don't have all the
> answers but I may be able to save you some bother.

Well, I'm personally a big believer that there needs to be a competent
central figure during this process.  Maybe you agree with me, and
maybe you don't.  I'm also a big believer that Jimbo, the only current
candidate, is *not* competent at such a task.

So hey, if you could convince the board that you have what it takes,
I'd say hire *you* as interim CEO.  Unlike some others I don't think
the interim CEO has to have a tremendous resume as a top leader of
huge organizations - someone with the experience you describe would
probably be good enough, and probably a *lot* cheaper.

Maybe you'd even be willing to take on such a role for free.  If so,
even better.

As an alternative it'd be nice to get someone with your type of
experience on the board.  Preferably as an additional member, but if
Jimbo's control issues won't allow the board to expand then maybe Ant
or Angela would be willing to step down (we could give her some sort
of new title like "Volunteer advocate" and an advisory position).

Of course, all of this is dependent on you being 1) willing, and 2)
able to demonstrate your ability to handle the task.  And it goes
equally well for anyone on this list who can convince Jimbo that ey
can do it.

Anthony