[Foundation-l] Where we are headed

Gavin Chait gchait at gmx.net
Sat Jun 3 13:52:43 UTC 2006

> Someone is needed to bootstrap the
> organization ... I think it's important to make it
> clear that this isn't a permanent position, though.  In part, because
> it's dangerous to assign such a position when you really have no clue
> what the position is

> One thing I think is important though is the interim CEO should be
> made aware that a big part of eir job is going to be explaining eir
> actions to the entire membership

So far the CEO / COO / Director *interim* position can be summarised as
follows:

"We need help real fast.  We don't know what help we need and would like you
to tell us.  Please don't ruffle any feathers.  Don't do anything without
telling everyone in the community.  We'll get back to you about what we
decide."

So, appointing an *interim* CEO / COO / Director will have a result
equivalent to not appointing an *interim* CEO / COO / Director.  The core
problem: "We don't know what to do next and we need help deciding what to
do," won't have been solved and can't be solved until the board and
community decide.

> You've given your own suggestions above, but what is the board going
> to do, say "hey, Gavin Chait said this is how we should do it, so lets
> go with it"?  I don't think it's going to happen.

Why not?  I have 15 years experience in South Africa developing and running
non-profit organisations in fields as diverse as HIV / AIDS, education and
small business development.  I've worked with student-run, university-based
organisations, corporate funded ones, and institutional versions.  I have
fund-raised, written proposals, developed ideas and implemented them.  Some
of my ideas even work.

I'm probably not the only person with this sort of experience on this list
but I do have some idea of what it takes to run a self-sustaining non-profit
social benefit organisation.

So why not listen to my suggestions?  They are my opinions, based on my
experiences.  They are freely and honestly given.  I don't have all the
answers but I may be able to save you some bother.